Don’t let the adventure end when your project is over. Explore with fellow volunteers.
Independent, supported travel
We know many of you want to volunteer and travel. Guess what, you can!
Most of the gap year programs give you an option to include approximately 4 weeks of independent travel after your project finishes when you can travel further afield and explore the places you couldn’t get to on your weekends.
From our experience travelling is often when problems occur, from lost passports to getting ill, so by continuing your adventure under our independent travel scheme you have the reassurance that if a problem occurs you will be looked after by our in-country 24/7 support network. We will be there to support you in case of any emergency.
Our only rule? You don’t travel by yourself.
We have lots of tips for places to stay, activities and routes taken by past AV volunteers. Here are just a few:
- Wildlife safari in Kenya , Tanzania or South Africa
- Trekking Mount Kenya or Mount Kilimanjaro
- Rafting the Source of the Nile in Uganda or bungee jumping over it;
- Gorilla trekking in the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda
- Visiting the beautiful beaches of Kenya or Zanzibar
- Surfing on the South African coast
- Travelling to Cape Town, climbing Table Mountain or seeing the penguins at boulders beach
- Visiting the Taj Mahal and other beautiful temples and palaces in India
- Trekking to Annapurna Base camp in Nepal
- Relaxing on the beaches of Goa in India
- Paragliding over Pokhara in Nepal
- Padi Diving course in Thailand
- Walk The Great Wall of China
Please note that for the majority of projects this travel time is optional and that the activities listed here are not included in the AV project costs.
There is a small daily charge for the 24/7 back up and support through out this time (please refer to the 16 week project cost). In addition any costs incurred during your independent travel including activities, food, accommodation and transport are to be covered by your own spending money.