Gap years for over 25s
A gap year can be taken at any age.
And it doesn’t have to be a whole year.
Ready for a career break?
Gap years shouldn’t just be for the young – it’s a great idea, whatever your age.
AV have created some very special relationships with rural communities where you can use your skills by volunteering.
Whatever your time-frame or age, get in touch to talk through what you would like to do and we can then find a project that will suit you.
“…whenever I interview students and parents are sitting there, they invariably say, ‘God, I wish I could do that.’ ”Holly Bull
In AV communities there will be a range of activities for you to get involved with, depending on what time of year you join them. These could include:
- Volunteering in a local rural primary school you could help in the classroom with English, science classes, IT training. You can also help with PE and sports coaching. The students love inter-school matches and would be thrilled if you could organise some. You could also set up and run an extra-curricular activity such as dance, art, music, debating society, health club or school magazine. You can design and produce visual aids either on charts or directly on the classroom walls.
- Sports Programs – At the Kibera Kids Tennis Program in Kenya you could help coach children on the new sports court in tennis, football, netball, volleyball, and even rugby.
- Teach English, maths, science, arts & crafts, music, and HIV/AIDS at Malesi School just near Kibera.
- Help run the ‘Girl Power’ clubs.
- Help set up small business initiatives for women’s groups such as craft work to sell to tourists.
Whatever area you can help in, your time will be appreciated by the local community and you will be welcomed into their way of life.