The Year Out Group
About the Year Out Group
Africa and Asia Venture (AV) is a founding member of The Year Out Group (YOG). YOG was set up in 1998 as a not-for-profit organisation. It is a select association of year out organisations and seeks to promote the concept and benefits of well-structured year out programs, to promote models of good practice and to help young people, their parents, teachers and advisers in selecting suitable and worthwhile projects.
Useful YOG links:
- About the Year Out Group
- YOG’s Code of Practice
- Why to go with a YOG group member
- Planning a Gap Year – Vital Information
- Help Choosing a Gap Year Voluntary Work Project
- Gap Year Stories
Excerpt from their website on the benefits of a gap year
Use the time wisely: Time out not time off
- Acquire new skills or enhance existing ones such as: time management, negotiating, budgeting, planning and risk management.
- Discover new cultures and customs; improve language skills; become more globally aware.
- Make new friends and have fun.
- A potentially life-changing experience.
- Arrive at university/first job refreshed and focussed.
- Obtain the most from your university experience
- An enhanced CV demonstrating your employability
As founding and active members, Africa & Asia Venture (AV) support and adhere to all Year Out Group codes and recommendations.
Find out more about our volunteering programs by following the links below: